Collagen-Based Microspheres for Protein Drug Delivery
- Drug Delivery
- Reference No.
Key Problem and Market Opportunity
- Protein drugs such as growth factors, enzymes and cytokines are highly specific in their therapeutic actions. However, they are very vulnerable to structural disruption or modification, leading to a loss of bioactivity.
- Synthetic polymers for drug delivery lack protein compatibility.
- The natural polymer collagen has high biocompatibility and could be used for protein drug delivery. However, the major challenge is that the meshwork of collagen is too open to retain the encapsulated protein in the matrix.
Key Advantages of the Technology
- Controlled mesh size of collagen fibrils by photochemical crosslinking
- Sustained release profile of protein payload
- High compatibility with proteins
- High encapsulation efficiency
Potential Product and Services
- Injection drug
- Three dimensional cell culture
Development status and IP Strength
- Granted US Patent: Application No. 12/166,670
- Granted China Patent: Application No. 200880106169.8
- Granted EP Patent: Application No. 08773021.4