Entrepreneurship Academy 2016 - Sharing Economy
24 Mar 2016Back to News
"Sharing economy" becomes a hot topic these few years, especially with the dramatic growth in Uber and Airbnb. Dr. Dominic Chan began his sharing by explaining what is sharing economy – an economic model in which individuals are able to borrow or rent assets owned by someone else as the assets are not fully utilized. Sharing economy aims to create values through improving efficiency and bring idle resources and new customers into the market. Dr. Chan then illustrated business models of some Hong Kong’s sharing economy startups, including:
• GoGoVan – a free, van-hailing app which matches van drivers with delivery van users
• Rent-A-Suitcase – provide rental of travel supplies as space is costly in Hong Kong and extend to rental of expensive hi-tech, mountable cameras
• Careshare.hk – enable owners who are not frequent drivers to rent out their cars to users for a few hours.
• Jobdoh – a location-based platform for quality temporary job matching within short time
• Gaifong – a mobile-app-social networks for peer-to-peer sharing of consumer goods
Dr. Chan concluded his session with the discussion on the regulatory and ethical issues of sharing economy.
Get the latest technology and news from us
If you do not wish to receive emails from us in the future, you can send an unsubscribe request to us by email to email@example.com.