Photo-Triggered Drug Release System
- Drug Delivery
- Reference No.
Key Problem and Market Opportunity
- Photosensitizers used in current photodynamic therapy can only release reactive oxygen species (ROS) which limits the application.
- On the other hand, upconverting nanoparticles (UCNPs) which can be applied on different drugs require multiphoton processes leading to low quantum yield, which limits its photolysis performance.
- There is a need to explore a new strategy which could achieve photolysis with high efficiency and long-wavelength light excitation.
Key Advantages of the Technology
- HKU researcher have proven that drug release can be triggered under long wavelength light excitation in tumor site.
- Micelles can enhance the tumor cell uptake of the drug to achieve higher therapeutic performance.
- On-demand drug release
- Long wavelength light excitation leading to deep tissue penetration
- Applicable to different drugs leading to broad applications
Potential Product and Services
- Drug delivery system for photodynamic therapy, such as skin diseases or ophthalmological diseases
- PCT application
- Patent application submitted