Adiponectin Glycopeptides Synthesis and its Potential for Metabolic Diseases
- Therapeutic Biologics
Key Problem and Market Opportunity
- Adiponectin is an insulin-sensitizing adipokine with anti-diabetic, anti-atherogenic, anti-inflammatory and cardioprotective properties. Supplementation of adiponectin could have great therapeutic potentials for metabolic, cancer and cardiovascular diseases. But it is very hard to produce sufficient amount of adiponectin from eukaryotic cell culture and adiponectin from prokaryotic cell does not have biological activity.
- The global obesity treatment market size is expected to reach USD 27.10 billion by 2028 at a CAGR of 16.7%. One of the key parameters driving market revenue growth is rising prevalence of obesity due to sedentary lifestyles, unhealthy eating habits, and lack of physical activity.
- The diabetes care drugs market reached USD 69.7 billion in 2019, and it is anticipated to register a CAGR of over 4.5%.
Key Advantages of the Technology
- The present invention develops a new method to synthesize a peptide (hAdn-WM6877), the glycosylated adiponectin collagenous domain, which mimics the pharmacological functions of adiponectin.
- This new method is low-cost and highly efficient compared with traditional method. In vitro and in vivo tests showed positive effect of the synthesized peptide on metabolic functions. This peptide shows great potential as the adiponectin downsized mimetic for the development of novel therapeutics to treat metabolic diseases such as obesity and diabetes.
Potential Product and Services
Therapeutics for obesity, diabetes and non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH).
Development Status and IP Strength
- PCT Application No. PCT/IB2021/053309, filed on 21 Apr 2021.
- Patent application submitted