Annexin A3 as a Diagnostic Biomarker and Therapeutic Target for Treating Hepatocellular Carcinoma
- Diagnostics , Therapeutic Biologics
Key Problem and Market Opportunity
- Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is one of the most prevalent malignancies. The overall prognosis for HCC is poor in part due to advanced stage in which the disease is usually diagnosed in, the high rate of recurrence and the chemotherapy resistant nature of the disease. Therefore, the identification of valid targets and the development of new therapies are necessary for more effective clinical management of this disease.
- According to Market Data Forecast, the global liver cancer therapeutics market was worth $572 million in 2016 and estimated to be growing at a CAGR of 9.1%, to reach $884.14 million by 2021.
- According to Stratistics MRC, the global cancer diagnostics market was valuated at $8.54 billion in 2016 and is expected reach $22.41 billion by 2023 with a CAGR of 14.8 %.
Key Advantages of the Technology
- The endogenous and secretory ANXA3 is preferentially expressed in HCC patients. Functional studies also found ANXA3 to play a critical role in driving HCC initiation, angiogenesis, invasion, metastasis and chemoresistance. ANXA3 can be used as a serum biomarker for the diagnosis of HCC.
- An anti-ANXA3 neutralizing antibody was also developed. Animal studies showed that anti-ANXA3 therapy could be a new therapeutic strategy to suppress or cure HCC. Anti-ANXA3 can be used alone or in combination with chemotherapy.
Potential Product and Services
- Diagnostic kits for HCC using Annexin3 (ANXA3) as a biomarker
- Antibodies of Annexin 3 for treatment of HCC
Development status and IP Strength
- US Patent No. 9,487,831
- US Divisional Application No. 15/238,328