A Portable and Effective Means to Make Drinking Water Outdoors
- Green Tech
Key Problem and Market Opportunity
- About 783 million people—11% of the world’s population—live without access to clean drinking water and 3.4 million deaths from water-, sanitation-, and hygiene-related causes according to a 20141
- Growth in the biopharmaceutical industry (i.e. the market of medical drugs produced using biotechnology)
- Global water and wastewater filtration systems market valued at $6.1 billion in 2012 is expected to have an annual compound growth rate (CAGR) of 6.0%, reaching revenue total of $9.1 billion by 20192
- The global membrane filtration market for pharmaceutical is expected to reach USD 6.20 Billion by 2021 from USD 3.55 Billion in 2016, at a CAGR of 11.8% from 2016 to 20213
2 Frost and Sullivan
Key Advantages of the Technology
- Portable, light-weight and excellent for out-door applications, household filters and also disaster relief.
- Electricity free - purification process can be carried out by gravity-driven filtration or mechanically-enhanced filtration
- The composite structure of the membrane create excellent antifouling and anti-bacterial properties. (high rejection for heavy metal ions (e.g., Pb2+, Cd2+, Ni2+ and Cr6+) and high water permeability: remove unwanted particles (e.g. suspended inorganic particles and organic particles), biological entities (e.g. pathogen and bacteria), and heavy metal ions (e.g. Pb2+, Cd2+, Ni2+ and Cr6+).
Potential Product and Services
- Provide an inexpensive, scalable, and sustainable methods to produce and purify water
- Membrane filtration market for the preparation of pharmaceutical solutions as to remove viable and nonviable particles in order to clarify or sterilize the solution.
Development Status and IP Strength
- PCT Application No. PCT/CN2016/093965
- Prototypes available in laboratory scale